“Chinggis Khaan” international airport was initially established as “Buyant-Ukhaa” airport in Ulaanbaatar approved by Minister of Military and Social Security Affairs, Order No107, on February 19, 1957.
In 1958, the airport became “Buyant-Ukhaa” international airport with flights to Irkutsk and Beijing by Ilyushin II-4 aircraft. Between 1994 and 1997 a further major upgrade of construction and air navigation was achieved by Asian Development Bank aids making the airport compliant with ICAO standards and serving heavy weight aircraft at 4D category Aerodrome equipped with advanced technology and ground handling services.
The international airport’s organizational structure was established by the Head of Civil Air Transport Authority, Order No40, on January 30, 1988 and later was renamed as “Chinggis Khaan” International Airport, approved by the Government of Mongolia, Decree No 255, on December 21, 2005.
Affiliated with the Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia, “Chinggis Khaan” international airport at Buyant -Ukhaa is a passenger serving complex that has a capacity to serve 1000 passengers and operate 24 hours meeting with international civil aviation standards and requirements.